We are dedicated to protecting your personal information when you are using our online services. We want our website to be safe and enjoyable to use.
Collecting your personal information
We need some personal information from you (such as your name, address, phone number and email address) when you:
- fill in an enquiry form
- submit comments to the site
- submit other ‘user-generated content’ to us
- send emails to us.
Please do not submit your personal information to us if you do not want us to collect it.
Collecting other information
As well as personal information, we may also collect information about you automatically when you visit the site. When we gather this type of information we may use ‘cookies’ and ‘web beacons’.
A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer’s hard drive by your web browser when you first visit the site. It allows us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit.
A web beacon is a small graphic image placed on a web page that is designed to allow us to monitor traffic on the site.
The information collected by cookies and web beacons does not identify you personally. It includes general information about your computer settings and your connection to the internet: for example, your operating system and ‘platform’ (for example pc or mobile), your IP address, your browsing patterns and the timings of your browsing on the site, and your geographical location.
Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically. However, as you may know, new EU law (the e-Privacy Directive) covers the use of certain cookies which need the user’s permission.
- customising the content of the site
- sharing your thoughts and comments
- being able to see flash banners and video content.
You will be able to use these features without any concerns about your privacy.
If you do not want to receive our cookies, you can usually alter the settings of your browser to delete cookies or prevent automatic acceptance. However, we cannot guarantee that your experience with the site will be as quick or responsive as if you do receive cookies.
Changing how your browser treats cookies
Different browsers use different terms for their settings, but the following guide should be helpful if you prefer to block the acceptance of cookies:
For computer browsers:
1 Select any of these from your browser’s main task bar –
Tools/Settings/Options or Preferences.
2 (Optional step) Click the Internet Options or Under the Bonnet tab.
3 Click the Privacy tab.
4 Choose the settings you want.
5 Click Apply or X and then OK.
For mobile browsers:
iPhone or IOS
3 Accept Cookies
4 Choose your preferred settings.
1 Start browser application
3 More options
5 Tick or clear Accept cookies.
How we use your information
By using the site, you agree that we may collect, hold, process and use your information (including personal information) to provide you with the site’s services, and develop our business. How we collect, hold, process and use your information will include:
- verifying your identity (for example when you come back to the site)
- telling you about the latest changes to the site, and products, services or promotional offers that you might find interesting
- dealing with, and replying to you about, a comment you have submitted to our message boards and blogs
- dealing with, and replying to you about, other ‘user-generated content’ you submit to us
- allowing you to share our content with other people, for example using our ‘email a friend’ and ‘share this article’ facilities
- telling you if you have been successful in any site competitions or promotions
- compiling customer reviews
- carrying out market research
- carrying out statistical, technical and logistical analysis.
If we want to use your personal information for any other reason we will make sure we tell you first. We will also give you the chance to withhold or withdraw your consent for us to use your personal information for reasons other than those listed above.
Safeguards and security
No data sent over the internet can be entirely secure, so we do not guarantee the security of your personal information or of your use of the site. However, we take reasonable action to protect your personal information from unauthorised access or use, by using encryption technology.
On top of these safeguards, your personal information is protected in the UK by the Data Protection Act 1998. This says that the information which we hold about you should:
- be processed fairly and lawfully
- be accurate, relevant and not excessive
- not be kept for longer than is necessary
- if this applies, be kept up to date.
For more information about the Data Protection Act 1998 and your rights please go to the government website about data protection: Data Protection.